Friday, November 2, 2007

Things I ate on "GOOD" days

In my previous post I mentioned several things I would talk about. I am going to start with what I feel is the most important part of the whole equation, DIET!

The word diet does not have to be a 4 letter word. Well ok diet IS a 4 letter word. LOL
I consider the word diet to mean simply, what I am eating. It's just that simple. It's not some miracle meal plan out of a box, nor is it starvation.
To me it's a method to eat in order to make my body more efficient and using the calories I AM taking most effectively.

I determined in order to reach my weight goal that I would have to find out how many calories my body needs to maintain THAT body weight, not my CURRENT body weight.
I found that 2000 cals/day was good for me to get around 180-185.
Then I discovered that insulin is a storage hormone, control insulin and you force your body to store less calories as fat.
It is a fact that white, refined sources of carbohydrates force your bodies insulin level to go through the roof. When insulin shoots up like that it is basically telling your body that there are plenty of calories so go ahead and store them as fat.
When you eat low GI carbs like brown rice, whole wheat bread etc.. your body gradually raises insulin and there is not as much of a spike which in turn stores less fat!
So here is a sample of what I might eat in a day.
7 am Oatmeal mixed with protein powder
9 am protein shake
11am chicken breast w/ a cup of brown rice
1pm protein shake
6pm whole grain pasta w/shrimp and broccoli and a mild sauce.
That's 5 meals! You see 3 solid meals and 2 shakes, the key is I kept my insulin under control while giving myself plenty of calories for energy.

No comments:

Mini Mall GREAT deals!

Rep your team, social sports network!